Many in stock
Is a form of
Herb and plant extract
- Evening Primrose Oil 1000mg
- Vitamin E 10mg (100% RDA)
Take one to three capsules daily with food
If you are pregnant or lactating, taking medication or under medical supervision, please consult your GP or medical professional before taking supplements. Do not exceed recommended dose. Food supplements should not be used as a substitute for a varied diet. Store is a cool dry place. Keep out of reach of children NOT intended for use by persons under the age of 18
Alternative names for Evening Primrose Oil include Fever Plant, Oenothera Biennis, Evening Primrose, King’s Cureall, Sun Drop, Onagraire, Jambon du Paysan.
What is Evening Primrose Oil?
The evening primrose oil is derived from the seeds of the flower evening primrose, which belongs to the Primulaceae family and is also popularly called evening star or sun drop. The plant is said to have originated from Central America and Mexico. Eventually, it was grown in North America and then in Europe. Today, it is primarily cultivated in the southwestern United States. The plant’s popularity can be attributed to its strong medicinal value and is therefore used for treating various diseases and illnesses. The term evening in the plant’s name is used as the flowers of the primrose plant only open up during nighttime.
The evening primrose plant is widely used for treating various diseases and illnesses including aging problems, severe chronic diseases, and other health issues. Doctors and herbalists alike recommend its use for its healing and life-saving capabilities. The shoots and roots of the evening rose can also be eaten as a vegetable and can be prepared as a salad. And for its high medicinal value, the plant and its oil are used in soaps and cosmetic products.
How does it work?
Evening primrose oil is rich in fatty acid known as gamma linolenic acid that is converted to prostaglandin E1 when taken. Prostaglandin E1 is basically responsible for the contraction of blood vessels, giving it an anti-inflammatory effect. Because of this inherent property of the evening primrose oil, it is used for the treatment of inflammation of many body parts accompanied with severe itching and aching.
Characterized by its power to boost blood flow, gamma linolenic acid or GLA is also popularly used for the treatment of impotency problems in men. In women, GLA helps enhance the functioning of the uterus, thereby improving fertility conditions. Evening primrose oil is used to efficiently convert dietary fats into GLA when the body is unable to do so because of eczema.
Used To Treat
- Evening primrose oil is also used for the treatment of osteoporosis, a condition characterized by a considerable decrease in bone mineral density increasing the risk of fractures. This disease of the bones is more prevalent in women especially those of post-menopausal age.
- Evening primrose oil is also popularly known as an effective treatment for mammalgia (also referred to as mastalgia and mastodynia), a medical symptom of breast pain, which is feared to be one of the possible causes of breast cancer.
- Sun drop oil is also used for the treatment of dermatitis, the technical term used to refer to inflammation of the skin characterized by skin rashes, lesions, itching, swelling, and redness.
- Evening primrose oil is also proven effective for the treatment of asthma and arthritis (which is marked by the inflammation of joints).
Likely to be effective for
Evening primrose oil is well-known for its effectiveness for the treatment and remedy of many other health conditions including the following:
- Acne, which is a common skin disease that is characterized by the appearance of blackheads and whiteheads, pimples, pinheads, scaly red skin, and possibly scarring
- Chronic fatigue syndrome, which is the more popular name for a group of considerably debilitating medical conditions marked by persistent fatigue and other particular symptoms that lasts for at least 6 months in adults and at least 3 months in adolescents and children
- Developmental dyspraxia (also referred to as developmental coordination disorder), which is a neurological disorder that affects the body’s planning of movement and coordination
- High blood pressure or hypertension, a chronic medical condition where the blood pressure in the arteries is abnormally high or elevated
- Menstrual cramps or technically termed dysmenorrhoeal, which is defined simply as excessive menstrual pain
- Reynaud’s syndrome, a condition that brings about the discolouration of toes, fingers, and other parts of the body
- Whooping cough or pertussis, which is a highly contagious disease caused by bacterial infection marked by excessive coughing that leads to shortness of breath
Evening primrose oil is an excellent source of fatty acids such as omega 6, which helps effectively treat reproduction-related issues in both men and women, skin problems including eczema, metabolism problems, as well as bone and hair strengthening. Fatty acids help in the efficient reduction of inflammation and are therefore strongly recommended for those who are frequently suffering from inflammatory problems.
Oil from the evening primrose flower is also a potent treatment for heart diseases and disorders brought about by high cholesterol levels. And with its phenylalanine content, which is used in various painkillers, the evening primrose oil is a reliable source for pain relief and has impressive healing characteristics.
Evening primrose oil induces an increase of the human body’s GLA level, which is considerably good for those suffering from diabetic neuropathy as gamma linolenic acid helps lessen and eventually eliminates nerve pains. Healthy GLA levels also help in the treatment of allergies. In addition, it induces the healthy growth of hair and helps prevent the cracking of one’s nails.
Goes well with
When taken together with vitamin C, the oil of the evening rose or the fever plant helps enhance blood flow and is thus ideal for use by men with potency problems.
And when taken with tamoxifen, evening primrose oil induces better positive response from women with breast cancer.
How to take/dosage
- Evening primrose oil is taken orally.
- For women suffering from breast pain, 3 to 4 grams of evening primrose oil must be taken daily.
- For those suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, 530mg to 550mg of evening primrose oil must be taken daily.
- Adults not suffering from any health conditions and diseases may consume 2 to 8 grams of evening primrose oil on a daily basis.
Possible side effects
Although considered 100% safe, evening primrose oil has been reported to have some mild side effects that include some cases of nausea, headache, stomach pains, and diarrhoea. The excessive use of evening primrose oil can also cause vascular problems in the brain; and the arterial constriction from these vascular problems can bring about high blood pressure.
- Evening primrose oil should not be taken with anti-coagulants including Warfarin and Voltaren as the GLA content in the oil decreases blood-clotting speed that will increase the chances of blood loss.
- Evening primrose oil should not be consumed while undergoing surgery or any surgical treatment that involves the use of anaesthesia.
- Evening primrose oil should not be taken along with phenothiazines.
- When taken along with fish oil, evening primrose oil helps reduce NSAID pains.
Evening primrose oil must not be taken during pregnancy. Women normally take it to have early contractions so it may cause serious issues in pregnant women, and hence, must be avoided.
People suffering from the clotting or bleeding disorder coagulopathy must avoid using evening primrose oil as it could intensify the problem. Those with a history of epileptic fits must also avoid using the oil to eliminate the chances of a relapse.
Evening primrose oil must not be consumed by people who are going to undergo surgical treatment or any form of surgery as it will bring about major risks for bleeding.
The excessive use of evening primrose oil leads to gastrointestinal problems.
People who are already taking other medication or under close medical supervision should consult their doctor or a medical practitioner before taking evening primrose oil to avoid any unwanted effects from unhealthy interactions of the oil with other medications, herbs, and supplements.
Children should not be given evening primrose oil without the recommendation of a professional healthcare provider.
Things to note
- Evening primrose oil is considered healthy to use, but care should be taken with every dosage. Proper consultation with a medical professional is strongly advised before taking it as the dosage will vary from one person to another and from one health condition to another.
- Pregnant women should avoid taking evening primrose oil as it causes early contractions.
- Evening primrose oil should not be mixed with certain drugs, herbs, and other supplements as it can bring about hazardous health effects. (For the list of these drugs, herbs, and other supplements, please check with your doctor.)
- Protein powders containing evening primrose oil are safe to consume.
- Many companies manufacture the evening primrose oil in edible capsule forms. They must be stored in cool places to prevent them from turning rancid. Choose those that contain 8% GLA.
Scientific support and reference citations
You may return most new, unopened items within 30 days of delivery for a full refund. We'll also pay the return shipping costs if the return is a result of our error (you received an incorrect or defective item, etc.).
You should expect to receive your refund within four weeks of giving your package to the return shipper, however, in many cases you will receive a refund more quickly. This time period includes the transit time for us to receive your return from the shipper (5 to 10 business days), the time it takes us to process your return once we receive it (3 to 5 business days), and the time it takes your bank to process our refund request (5 to 10 business days).
If you need to return an item, simply login to your account, view the order using the 'Complete Orders' link under the My Account menu and click the Return Item(s) button. We'll notify you via e-mail of your refund once we've received and processed the returned item.
We can ship to virtually any address in the world. Note that there are restrictions on some products, and some products cannot be shipped to international destinations.
When you place an order, we will estimate shipping and delivery dates for you based on the availability of your items and the shipping options you choose. Depending on the shipping provider you choose, shipping date estimates may appear on the shipping quotes page.
Please also note that the shipping rates for many items we sell are weight-based. The weight of any such item can be found on its detail page. To reflect the policies of the shipping companies we use, all weights will be rounded up to the next full pound.