Many in stock
5-HTP, also known as oxitriptan (INN) is increasingly being used to treat Insomnia and mood disorders. It is an entirely natural nutrient supplement which has shown a lot of promise in terms of being able to enhance sleep and mood, along with some other added benefits too. Taking this supplement is a really easy and effective way to increase serotonin levels in the brain.
What are the benefits of 5-HTP?
- Helps to increase or restore the serotonin levels in the brain
- It can help to regulate both mood and behaviour
- Helps to reduce food intake - appetite suppressant
- Has the ability to help lessen stress
- Assists those dealing with withdrawals or addictions
What is 5-HTP?
5-HTP originates from tryptophan, which can be taken as a supplement, or created by the human body. The African tree named Griffonia simplicifolia provides the seeds, it is the extract of these seeds which makes this product. It is not something you can get form eating a particular food, however the amino acids which are used to make tryptophan are found in milk, potatoes, pumpkin, seaweed and chicken.
What is 5-HTP used for?
5-HTP can be used to treat anxiety, depression, migraines, insomnia, PMS, obesity and other addictive behaviours. It can help you to get a better night’s sleep and also assist with improving or controlling one’s mood. There have also been numerous studies into the effects of 5-HTP for weight loss, as it can act as reducer of food intake.
How does 5-HTP work?
5-HTP operates within the central nervous system and in the brain by increasing the production of a chemical called serotonin. It is this chemical which can control and effect appetite, moods, sleep and also the sensation of pain.
Who should use 5-HTP?
5-HTP is ideally suited to adults and should not be used or taken by anyone under the age of eighteen. It is a supplement that is being to use by both men and women for a range of different uses.
- For those who suffer with anxiety, stress, depression or pain attacks.
- For women who are going through the menopause.
- For people who are suffering with night terrors or who are having difficulty sleeping.
- People who dealing with cravings of additions.
- For individuals who are looking to reduce their food intake.
- For people who may suffer with a chronic illness
How to take 5-HTP?
5-HTP is not suitable for children, this includes people under the age of 18.
The recommended dosage for adults is to take 50-100mg, 1 to 3 times a day. Whilst there may be claims of people using a higher dosage, it is not advisable to surpass the above mentioned limit without seeking advice from a medical or health professional.
If you are taking 5-HTP to help to reduce your food intake, then it is recommended that you take this supplement with your food.
If you are using 5-HTP to assist with anxiety or depression, unless cleared with health or medical professional, it should not be taken with any other drug aimed at treating this condition.
5-HTP 102.05mg Griffonia Seed 98% Extract, Dicalcium Phosphate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Magnesium Stearate, Silica.
What studies have been conducted on 5-HTP?
There have been many medical studies written and conducted into the 5-HTP supplement. In the area below, we have included some useful links and overviews for what these studies relate to, and what their results were.
The University of Maryland Medical Centre have conducted studies on 5-HTP. This study references all of the claimed conditions which 5-HTP can aid, such as depression, sleep, stress, appetite, menopause, addictions and anxiety.
Regarding 5-HTP as an appetite suppressant, or helping with obesity, the below three studies can be referenced
- The Effects Of Oral 5-hydroxytryptophan Administration On Feeding Behavior In Obese Adult Female Subjects
- Eating Behavior And Adherence To Dietary Prescriptions In Obese Adult Subjects Treated With 5-hydroxytryptophan
- Effects Of Oral 5-hydroxy-tryptophan On Energy Intake And Macronutrient Selection In Non-insulin Dependent Diabetic Patients
- Relationship between the absorption of 5-hydroxytryptophan from an integrated diet, by means of Griffonia simplicifolia extract, and the effect on satiety in overweight females after oral spray administration
- Eating behavior and adherence to dietary prescriptions in obese adult subjects treated with 5-hydroxytryptophan .
Specifically relating to helping with sleep, there is the below study
Studies relating to depression or stress
- Are tryptophan and 5-hydroxytryptophan effective treatments for depression? A meta-analysis
- An open-label trial of L-5-hydroxytryptophan in subjects with romantic stress
- l-5-Hydroxytryptophan in depression: the first substitution therapy in psychiatry? The treatment of 99 out-patients with 'therapy-resistant' depressions .
- L-5-hydroxytryptophan induced increase in salivary cortisol in panic disorder patients and healthy volunteers .
- 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) and a MAOI (nialamide) in the treatment of depressions. A double-blind controlled study
- Comparison of the Antidepressant Action of Tryptophan, Tryptophan/5-Hydroxytryptophan Combination and Nomifensine
Specifically relating to help with addictions
- The use of a food supplementation with D-phenylalanine, L-glutamine and L-5-hydroxytriptophan in the alleviation of alcohol withdrawal symptoms .
Dealing with the menopause
Relating to the increase in energy levels
- Effects of oral 5-hydroxy-tryptophan on energy intake and macronutrient selection in non-insulin dependent diabetic patients
Safety And Quality
- Manufactured to GMP protocols
- Uses pharmaceutical grade ingredients
- Manufactured in the UK
- EFSA compliance (European Food Safety Authority)
- Manufactured in an Informed Sport registered facility
You may return most new, unopened items within 30 days of delivery for a full refund. We'll also pay the return shipping costs if the return is a result of our error (you received an incorrect or defective item, etc.).
You should expect to receive your refund within four weeks of giving your package to the return shipper, however, in many cases you will receive a refund more quickly. This time period includes the transit time for us to receive your return from the shipper (5 to 10 business days), the time it takes us to process your return once we receive it (3 to 5 business days), and the time it takes your bank to process our refund request (5 to 10 business days).
If you need to return an item, simply login to your account, view the order using the 'Complete Orders' link under the My Account menu and click the Return Item(s) button. We'll notify you via e-mail of your refund once we've received and processed the returned item.
We can ship to virtually any address in the world. Note that there are restrictions on some products, and some products cannot be shipped to international destinations.
When you place an order, we will estimate shipping and delivery dates for you based on the availability of your items and the shipping options you choose. Depending on the shipping provider you choose, shipping date estimates may appear on the shipping quotes page.
Please also note that the shipping rates for many items we sell are weight-based. The weight of any such item can be found on its detail page. To reflect the policies of the shipping companies we use, all weights will be rounded up to the next full pound.