Many in stock
Alpha Lipoic Acid can also be referred to as Lipoic Acid or ALA, is a special type of antioxidant supplement. It is crucial for energy production and can help to reduce or diminish any damage which results from free radicals which are chemical by-products. It is these free radicals that are suspected of causing many degenerative diseases. It also functions as both a fat soluble and water soluble antioxidant which is a rare and special quality.
What are the benefits of ALA?
- It can help to improve a person’s physique
- It assists with combating free radicals because of its anti-oxidant qualities
- It may help to slow down the ageing process
- Is used to treat inflammation, chronic fatigue syndrome and diabetes symptoms
- Aids in the treatment of memory loss and some eye conditions
- ALA is essential to the production of energy by enhancing the way the body uses Vitamin B.
What is ALA?
Alpha-Lipoic acid is a chemical similar to a vitamin. You can get natural sources of ALA from foods such as spinach, broccoli, liver, yeast and potatoes. It can also be made in a laboratory for medicinal uses. It comes from Octatonic acid, is found in every cell and generally is produced in the bodies of humans and animals along with the above named foods.
What is ALA used for?
Alpha-Lipoic acid is used to treat a variety of different causes. Bodybuilders use this supplements to help them with their physical appearance and energy levels. There have been people who have used this for treating memory loss, chronic fatigue syndrome and Lyme disease along with diseases of the heart.
How does ALA work?
Alpha-Lipoic acid appears to help to prevent specific types of cell damage in the human body. It also restores levels of vitamins such as vitamin C & E. There has been some evidence which demonstrates that by using ALA, it can increase the function and improve the conduction of neurons in Diabetes. It is used within the body, breaking down carbohydrates and therefore producing energy which is then supplied to organs within the body. It works as an antioxidant, meaning it may provide protection under conditions of injury or damage to the brain.
Who should use ALA?
Bodybuilders who use this along with people who do weight training may benefit from increased energy levels. It has also been studied that people who have diabetes, or higher than average cholesterol or blood sugar levels may benefit from using this. There are also some vision conditions such as macular degeneration along with cardio vascular problems which people have reported and studies have shown this to help.
How to take ALA?
There are no exact doses for these supplements. In general, around 20-50g per day is the recommended amount. There have been some studies which show that taking an elevated dose of ALA is more suitable for specific conditions, however it is suggested that the above amount is ideal to begin with and where you taking independently of medical professionals.
Specifically, for treating type-2 diabetes, clinical and medical studies have shown that 600-1200mg per day is a suitable dosage.
We recommend taking 1-3 capsules each day with food.
Alpha Lipoic Acid 250mg, Maltodextrin, Magnesium Stearate, Gelatin, Titanium Dioxide.
What medical studies have been conducted on ALA?
This is a very well researched and studied supplement. There are many different examples of evidence to demonstrate the effects of this on numerous causes.
- Efficacy And Safety Of Alpha-lipoic Acid Supplementation In The Treatment Of Symptomatic Diabetic Neuropathy
- Efficacy And Safety Of Antioxidant Treatment With α-lipoic Acid Over 4 Years In Diabetic Polyneuropathy: The NATHAN 1 Trial
- Alpha-lipoic acid improves vascular endothelial function in patients with type 2 diabetes: a placebo-controlled randomized trial
- Effect of α-lipoic acid on platelet reactivity in type 1 diabetic patients
- The effects of lipoic acid and α-tocopherol supplementation on the lipid profile and insulin sensitivity of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial
- Effects Of Antioxidant Supplements Intervention On The Level Of Plasma Inflammatory Molecules And Disease Severity Of Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients
- Alpha-lipoic acid and cardiovascular disease
- Effect of alpha-lipoic acid and exercise training on cardiovascular disease risk in obesity with impaired glucose tolerance .
- Dietary lipoic acid supplementation can mimic or block the effect of dietary restriction on life span
- Alpha-lipoic acid as a dietary supplement: molecular mechanisms and therapeutic potential
- Improved efficacy of appetite suppression by lipoic acid particles prepared by nanocomminution
- Lipoic acid inhibits expression of ICAM-1 and VCAM-1 by CNS endothelial cells and T cell migration into the spinal cord in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis
- Effects of antioxidant supplements intervention on the level of plasma inflammatory molecules and disease severity of rheumatoid arthritis patients
- Effects of alpha-lipoic acid supplementation in peripheral arterial disease: a pilot study
- Effect of alpha-lipoic acid combined with creatine monohydrate on human skeletal muscle creatine and phosphagen concentration
Safety And Quality
- Manufactured to GMP protocols
- Uses pharmaceutical grade ingredients
- Manufactured in the UK
- EFSA compliance (European Food Safety Authority)
- Manufactured in an Informed Sport registered facility
You may return most new, unopened items within 30 days of delivery for a full refund. We'll also pay the return shipping costs if the return is a result of our error (you received an incorrect or defective item, etc.).
You should expect to receive your refund within four weeks of giving your package to the return shipper, however, in many cases you will receive a refund more quickly. This time period includes the transit time for us to receive your return from the shipper (5 to 10 business days), the time it takes us to process your return once we receive it (3 to 5 business days), and the time it takes your bank to process our refund request (5 to 10 business days).
If you need to return an item, simply login to your account, view the order using the 'Complete Orders' link under the My Account menu and click the Return Item(s) button. We'll notify you via e-mail of your refund once we've received and processed the returned item.
We can ship to virtually any address in the world. Note that there are restrictions on some products, and some products cannot be shipped to international destinations.
When you place an order, we will estimate shipping and delivery dates for you based on the availability of your items and the shipping options you choose. Depending on the shipping provider you choose, shipping date estimates may appear on the shipping quotes page.
Please also note that the shipping rates for many items we sell are weight-based. The weight of any such item can be found on its detail page. To reflect the policies of the shipping companies we use, all weights will be rounded up to the next full pound.